Spaghetti Squash Pomodoro
I dedicate this recipe to all the former carb addicts who can eat pasta and olive oil without abandon. This recipe has been a #gamechanger in my life as it provides delicious flavor without compromising your nutrition goals. It does not even feel like your typical “health make over” recipes its that good, and even that much easier to make for meal prepping for the week or for a healthy family dinner.
- 12oz. Heirloom Tomatoes
- 3 TBSP Organic Tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil
- 5 Cloves Fresh Garlic
- 8oz. Ground Turkey >93% Lean
- 1 Medium Spaghetti Squash (to yield 3 cups)
- 1 tsp Kasandrinos Olive Oil (Charged in a Misto to aerate the spray)
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- Cayenne Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Lightly spray a non-stick tray with olive oil spray and place sliced heirloom tomatoes on the tray with 2 cloves of sliced garlic. Lightly spray contents with olive oil again and lightly sprinkle sea salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until tomatoes have “cooked down”, then set oven to broil for 3-4 minutes watching closely to ensure they do not burn.
- While tomatoes are baking, put spaghetti squash in microwave for 8-12 minutes. After ~6 minutes re-position the squash to prevent localized heating.
- While squash is in the microwave, brown ground turkey on the stove with 3 cloves of freshly chopped garlic, sage, basil, black pepper, cayenne, and sea salt (or seasoning combination of your choice). Set aside once complete.
- Once spaghetti squash is cooked, carefully remove from microwave with heat sensitive gloves.
- Slice spaghetti squash lengthwise, then remove all the seeds with a spoon. With a fork, gently scrape the squash to yield “spaghetti-like” noodles. Collect noodles and set aside in a bowl.
- Remove from oven carefully with an oven mitt and combine in a small mixing bowl with 3 TBSP of organic tomato paste.
- Add freshly chopped basil to sauce.
- Combine entire sauce with 3 cups of squash. Add 4oz. of ground turkey per 1.5 cup serving of spaghetti squash. Makes 2 servings.
Macros per Serving*:
*1 Serving = 1.5 cups of Spaghetti Squash with sauce topped with 4 oz. of seasoned ground turkey
Calories: 327 kCal
Dietary Fiber: 7g
NET Carbs: 23g
Christine Hronec is the Owner and food scientist of Gauge Girl Training LLC, an online meal planning, training, and coaching service; and also the owner of Gauge Life LLC, a dietary supplement based out of Philadelphia.