Protein Oatmeal Muffins
If you are looking for more on-the-go breakfast ideas, check out these protein oatmeal muffins which will satisfy your sweet tooth without giving you a mid-morning sugar crash like many breakfast pastries will. Not only do they taste amazing and are easy to make—they are also gluten free, and with a few modifications can easily be made vegan and/or dairy-free.
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free if need be)
- 4 scoops MGN Vanilla Whey protein powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs (substitute w/ 2 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer for vegan version)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ cup plain 0% greek yogurt (substitute w/ Daiya greek yogurt for dairy-free version)
- 5 T coconut oil, melted
- 2 T Truvia Nectar sweetener (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Toppings: 2 oz banana, 2 T organic dark chocolate chips, 2 oz blueberries, 2 oz chopped apples, 4 tsp chopped pecans
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) In a large mixing bowl combine oats, protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt.
3) In a separate bowl combine eggs, vanilla extract, applesauce, greek yogurt, coconut oil, Truvia, and almond milk.
4) Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until evenly mixed throughout.
5) Line a 12 muffin pan with muffin holders.
6) Divide batter evenly among muffin tin.
7) Top 4 muffins with banana slices + dark chocolate, 4 muffins with blueberries, and the remaining 4 muffins with chopped apples + pecans.
8) Bake 15-20 minutes, and then allow to cool for 20 minutes before carefully removing from the muffin pan.
9) Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days (or freeze for longer storage duration). Microwave for 20-30 seconds when ready to eat.
Nutrition: (per muffin)
Christine Hronec is the co-owner and food scientist of Muscle Gauge Nutrition, a dietary supplement manufacturing company based out of Philadelphia and the founder of Gaugegirl Training, an online meal planning, training, and coaching service.